[CentOS] OT: systemd Poll

Leroy Tennison leroy at datavoiceint.com
Tue Apr 11 13:02:56 UTC 2017

And to add to the issues concerning consistency, what if you have a fail over unit and you're replicating configuration (i.e. NIC), you really prefer that NIC names remain the same.  Given the hardware morass underneath all of this, the only safe choice (regardless of whether you use systemd, init scripts, whatever) is to take control and force the association of the name to the MAC address in the appropriate file.  It doesn't allow total configuration replication but it does allow enough (with judicious use of segregation) to be useful.

This does concern me, another post referred to the heavy-handed way in which systemd has been implemented and I totally agree.  "You will conform" - no exceptions.  What I fear is that we will lose the ability to control the name, MAC address association at some future point because "no one needs to do that" (speaking from their ivory tower).