[CentOS] OT: systemd Poll

Bruce Ferrell bferrell at baywinds.org
Tue Apr 11 16:24:11 UTC 2017

On 04/11/2017 09:11 AM, Jonathan Billings wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 09:02:45AM -0700, Bruce Ferrell wrote:
>> How about over 30 and it took me a week?  No, I don't carry a CS
>> degree or cert of any kind either, just some high school.
>>
>> For me, systemd has been an absolute nightmare of unexpected reboots
>> and non-transparently broken processes with just plain bad
>> implementations crammed onto my system.  Faster boot they said,
>> except it ISN'T faster now, it's slower and MUCH more difficult to
>> sort through to find out why with it's monolithic architecture and
>> poor documentation.
>>
>> It wasn't broken before.  What was being fixed?
> I feel like this conversation has reached the "lets just keep
> repeating FUD about systemd" stage and probably won't progress in a
> useful direction.
>
> Maybe we should just jump right to the end that we always have each
> time this comes up.  systemd is the death of linux and you're leaving
> for FreeBSD/devuan/whatever.  Lets just move along now.

Well, sorta yes and sorta no Jonathan.  Yes, in that I've moved my personal systems to Linux distros that don't use systemd.

No in the it's not "FUD"... The complaints about the code and development are facts.  Not alternative facts, real, verifiable incidents and outages.

Professionally, I end up having to deal with these incidents that suck my time and effort and irritate my customers.

Just move on, ISN'T a solution.

I deal in solutions.  Partially, where possible, I move my customers to system that don't have this viral infection just as I moved them off of windows, where possible.

systemd isn't "the death of linux".  It is a serious quagmire that needs to be resolved.  That can only happen by confronting the issue head on.  step one is admitting a problem
exists.