[CentOS] CentOS 6 and pxeboot

Pete Biggs pete at biggs.org.uk
Tue Apr 11 18:43:39 UTC 2017

>    We've been using pxeboot to pull up a menu, to build or rebuild
> machines for years. We have this new server, and it fails. Times out.
> What's happening is that it tries in this order
>         .../pxelinux.cfg/b8945908-d6a6-41a9-611d-74a6ab80b83d
>  	.../pxelinux.cfg/01-88-99-aa-bb-cc-dd
>  	.../pxelinux.cfg/C0A8025B
>  	.../pxelinux.cfg/C0A8025
>  	.../pxelinux.cfg/C0A802
>  	.../pxelinux.cfg/C0A80
>  	.../pxelinux.cfg/C0A8
>  	.../pxelinux.cfg/C0A
>  	.../pxelinux.cfg/C0
>  	.../pxelinux.cfg/C
>  	.../pxelinux.cfg/default
>
> The first are MAC addresses, etc.

To be pedantic, the first one is a MAC address, the others are hex
versions of IP addresses - i.e. 192.168.2.91 (the discovered DHCP IP
address)

>  I want it to pull default. It takes
> *minutes* to time out each option, so after a dozen or 15 min, when it
> gets to defaul, tftp has timed it out.

It shouldn't time out on trying to retrieve a file if the TFTP server
is responding - each attempted retrieval should return a "not found"
rather than sitting there doing nothing. Trying symlinking the MAC
address filename to 'default' so it retrieves it first before any
timeout could have happened.

Also, you might like to try tcpdump to see what is actually happening
on the TFTP port.

P.