[CentOS] humor (was Re: OT: systemd Poll)

Andrew Holway andrew.holway at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 17:41:33 UTC 2017

> Of course, to be fair, there may have been a *reason* for not doing it
> that way before....

Between the early 1990's and early 2000's the price of a GB of memory went
from ~$100,000 to ~$1000*. I guess a lot of the design decisions made for
things like init were focussed on this. In 1995 is was common for server
platforms to have 32Mb ram whereas the kernel alone in my PC here at home
is consuming just over 500MB. It seems reasonable that software components
built in 1997 will not be fit for purpose in 2017.

* According to perfunctory google search:
http://www.statisticbrain.com/average-historic-price-of-ram/