[CentOS] Enterprise Linux Slack

Mauricio Tavares raubvogel at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 18:20:23 UTC 2017

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 1:50 PM, Andrew Holway <andrew.holway at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Not enthused with slack. And here's a real question: were you talking
>> about *instead* of this mailing list?
>

> No, certainly not instead of. A mailing list is essential. I'm part of a
> few slack communities and it seems an excellent platform for realtime
> discourse and noob baiting. Very sadly the #centos and #rhel freenode irc
> channels seem to be rather quiet these days and the irc protocol generally
> seems to be on the way out. IRC is a bit of a poor show when compared to
> modern platforms like Slack and Mattermost.

      I do know groups who have a mailing list and slack/fb and claim
the more "progressive users" prefer the more "progressive social media
channels" (facebook/slack). For those concerned that people can find
what you did on irc, do you really think what is posted on slack is
private? It is as private as any social media thingie out there.

FYI, in a previous job we ran our own internal irc, which was great
when we had to do support (level 1 on the phone could be feeding us
all with the info and question and one of us could be providing
answer. Caller would be none of the wiser).