[CentOS] humor (was Re: OT: systemd Poll)

Nicolas Kovacs info at microlinux.fr
Wed Apr 12 18:31:29 UTC 2017

Le 12/04/2017 à 19:41, Andrew Holway a écrit :
> Between the early 1990's and early 2000's the price of a GB of memory went
> from ~$100,000 to ~$1000*. I guess a lot of the design decisions made for
> things like init were focussed on this. In 1995 is was common for server
> platforms to have 32Mb ram whereas the kernel alone in my PC here at home
> is consuming just over 500MB. It seems reasonable that software components
> built in 1997 will not be fit for purpose in 2017.

Back in 2013 I did some Linux training for a company in Montpellier. The
first week the server racks hadn't been delivered yet, so we were stuck.
In a cupboard, I found an antique Dell Poweredge 1300 server that was
out of service, made around 1997 or so. I dusted it off, found a power
cable, a monitor, a network cable and a keyboard and connected the
thing. It had a P-III 500 MHz processor, 3 x 9 GB SCSI disks and a
whooping 128 MB of RAM, and not a single USB port (only parallel).

I happened to have the three CD-Rom set of Slackware 14.0 32-bit, so I
gave that a spin. The installation took quite some time, but after the
initial reboot, I managed to login, and the base system took no more
than 15 MB RAM.

So the first week we began working the course on this machine (which we
aptly named "grossebertha", because it was a noisy monster). After a
week or so, our new hardware arrived, and since the Windows trainer
complained about "8 GB RAM not being enough for a Windows server
installation", we decided just to nag him a bit to see how far we could
take the course on our old machine. In the end, we had NTP, Dnsmasq,
Samba, NIS+NFS, a LAMP stack, Squid, SquidGuard and SquidAnalyzer, and a
few other things running on this old monster.

Cheers,

Niki

7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat
Web  : http://www.microlinux.fr