[CentOS] humor (was Re: OT: systemd Poll)

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Wed Apr 12 20:59:41 UTC 2017

On Wed, April 12, 2017 2:39 pm, Mauricio Tavares wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 2:56 PM, Andrew Holway <andrew.holway at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>>
>>> When Windows 2000 came out some called it "bloated pig". Some 6 years
>>> down
>>> the road Linux started catching up ;-) Then we stopped laughing about
>>> Windows.
>>>

>> All in the name of progress..
>
>       I have been told that Windows developers were taught not to
> optimize their code for memory/cpu/etc since those could be solved by
> throwing more hardware at it. Instead they should make clean readable
> code. Not claiming that is exclusive to Windows or the clean readable
> part is followed...

Continuing in the same spirit. Way back SELinux (before it made it into
main stream kernel) had a competitor. LIDS. De-ciphers as Linux Intrusion
Detection System (but name is confusing). Creature of Purdue University
Computer science department. Basically LISD was a kernel patch that upon
end of boot sequence demotes root account to privileges of user nobody.
This makes system impregnable on the fly (but real pain to administer -
any change can only be done as: shut down, change, boot). I was so
impressed, I still remember about it. Never came to using it though. If it
did, it might give big pain to NSA and friends. But SELinux won, and LIDS
never made it into main stream kernel - to my regret. As far as SELinux is
concerned, several people still think that several (how many?) thousands
of extra code in the kernel may bring more harm than do good. Anyway, the
last IMHO is where "tastes differ".

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator