[CentOS] OT: systemd Poll - So Long, and Thanks for All the fish.

Warren Young warren at etr-usa.com
Thu Apr 20 20:02:01 UTC 2017

On Apr 19, 2017, at 2:22 PM, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 5:21 AM, James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, April 17, 2017 17:13, Warren Young wrote:
>>
>>> Also, I’ll remind the list that one of the *prior* times the systemd
>>> topic came up, I was the one reminding people that most of our jobs
>>> summarize as “Cope with change.â€
>>
>> At some point 'coping with change' is discovered to consume a
>> disproportionate amount of resources for the benefits obtained…Linux
>> does not meet our business needs.
>
> Apple has had massively disruptive changes on OS X and iOS. Windows
> has had a fairly disruptive set of changes in Windows 10.

…And FreeBSD finally just got through the whole binary-package-everything phase, meaning installation and upgrade practices have changed almost entirely in the past few years.  And before that, there was “move everything to ZFS,” which totally changed file system management, the boot system, backups, at-rest data encryption, file sharing services, and more.

The other BSDs haven’t had as much change, but that’s both bad and good.

Solaris has had mighty shakeups in the past 10 so years, much before the Oracle buyout and much more after.

So what is Harte & Lyne Limited moving *to*?

> the Linux community appears to have a
> change-for-change-sake fetish.

Are you seriously saying that none of the change in the Linux world in the past 10 years has had any practical benefit?

The only such charge that immediately comes to mind for me is this move in the past 5 years or so to “flat” user interfaces, led by the mobile world but infecting desktop OSes as well…but not Linux.  If Linux were doing change for change’s sake, wouldn’t Linux have flattened its UIs like Google, Apple, and Microsoft have?

I wonder if what you’d actually prefer is magical levels of foresight, so that we could have made all the change required 30, 40 years ago, and now just be riding on top of perfect stability?

Or is is that you think the *ix world already had perfection and lost it?  What was the perfect OS, what version, and does it still run your apps today?  Will it still run them 10 years from now?