[CentOS] Need a bit of 'archeocomputing' help on CentOS 7.

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Sat Apr 22 15:24:30 UTC 2017

> Am 22.04.2017 um 15:42 schrieb Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>:
>
> On 04/21/2017 12:11 PM, Lamar Owen wrote:
>> The latest version of libc5 I know of that was shipped by Red Hat is in RHL 6.2, libc-5.3.12.  (There is a 5.4, but not sure of stability or compatibility).
>> I've successfully set up the bridging; a CentOS 7 VM on the same host has full connectivity.  So it's something about the rtl8139 and the 2.0.36 kernel.  What is the oldest distribution you've done on KVM on C7?
> Ok, so I've progressed somewhat on this.  Here's what I've so far found:

Silly question: isn’t there something like a „compat-CentOS5“-package one can install and that contains all the base-libraries for CentOS 5?

I run a FreeBSD 6 (32 bit) binary on a 64 bit FreeBSD 11 VM (because the source, if we had it, would most likely not compile with whatever LLVM ships with 11 …).
FreeBSD offers „compat“ packages down to version 4. These are libraries that install into /usr/lib/compat.

Obviously, the system is designed for this - but why is nobody doing this for Linux?

I just looked it up:
FreeBSD 4.0 was released over 17 years ago, around the same time as RHL 6.2…