[CentOS] logwatch customization question

Sun Apr 9 14:07:28 UTC 2017

On 04/09/2017 09:42 AM, Richard wrote:
>> Date: Sunday, April 09, 2017 08:36:17 -0400
>> From: Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com>
>>
>> Logwatch is installed, and I am assuming by how empty /etc/logwatch
>> is that it is running from defaults, which I find in
>> /usr/share/logwatch/default.conf/services
>>
>> I want to customize ONE service.  dovecot.
>>
>> Do I copy /usr/share/logwatch/default.conf/services/dovecot.conf

>> /etc/logwatch/conf/services
>>
>> and edit it there,
>>
>> or do I have to copy ALL default.conf/services/* there and modify
>> /etc/logwatch/conf/logwatch.conf to look there?
>>
>> The README is rather not helpful on this.
>>
>> How do I modify ONE service (and not just make the changes in
>> default.conf that I have seen in a couple howtos.
>>
> I think that the HOWTO, referenced in the logwatch man page, has a
> fairly complete explanation of approaches to customization.
>

> centos-6/logwatch-7.3.6
>
>     MORE INFORMATION
>       The directory /usr/share/doc/logwatch-* contains several
>       files with additional documentation:
>         HOWTO-Customize-LogWatch
>           Documents the directory structure of Logwatch
>           configuration and executable files,  and describes how
>           to customize Logwatch by overriding these default files.

thanks.  I think I got it from the sendmail example.

"   For example, if file /etc/logwatch/conf/services/sendmail.conf has the
    single entry:
         $sendmail_unknownusersthreshold = 5
    then the threshold for unknown users is set to five instead of the
    default of one.  All other parameters are not modified.  "

thus:

cat > /etc/logwatch/conf/services/dovecot.conf
# Override the default Detail level. This will only affect dovecot's report.
$dovecot_detail = 10

I will see how it goes after tonight!