[CentOS] OT: systemd Poll

Mon Apr 10 13:38:03 UTC 2017

On Mon, April 10, 2017 7:29 am, Steve Clark wrote:
> On 04/09/2017 04:30 AM, J Martin Rushton wrote:
>> On 09/04/17 05:39, Anthony K wrote:
>>> According to "Arthur Schopenhauer":
>>>
>>> "All truth passes through three stages.
>>>     First, it is ridiculed.
>>>     Second, it is violently opposed.
>>>     Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
>> All ideas, true or false, follow those stages, but one hopes that the
>> false ones are eventually derided and toppled.
>>

>>> I must admit that I skipped through the first and second stages - I
>>> never found creating init scripts a joy and instead opted to write my
>>> own scripts that I launched via inittab.  As such, I welcomed the
>>> simplicity systemd's service files without fuss.
>>>
>>> So, at which stage are you in w/ regards to adopting systemd?  Are you
>>> still ridiculing it, violently opposed to it, or have you mellowed to
>>> it?
>>>
>> Accepting it as a fait accompli.  It makes life much harder for no
>> obvious gain, but short of creating one's own distro we seem to be stuck
>> with it.  To answer your question, a combination of proposition 1 and
>> the first part of proposition 3.
>>
>> For those of us with (in my case) over 30 years in the industry, reading
>> init scripts is trivial and at least we can see what is going on and fix
>> problems quickly.  Some vague, poorly documented, data file which is
>> interpreted by a black box is the sort of joy one expects from the
>> murkier regions of Redmond not the sunnier climes of Carolina.

The same here. Could repeat that word for word. I fled what I could to
FreeBSD, but in that process systemd was just the last drop that confirmed
that my earlier decision to abandon Linux to the extent I can was right.
Whatever has to stay Linux sucks ... more time for any problem than it
used to.

Valeri