[CentOS] OT: systemd Poll

Tue Apr 11 14:50:48 UTC 2017

Jonathan Billings wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 08:02:56AM -0500, Leroy Tennison wrote:
>> This does concern me, another post referred to the heavy-handed way
>> in which systemd has been implemented and I totally agree.  "You
>> will conform" - no exceptions.  What I fear is that we will lose the
>> ability to control the name, MAC address association at some future
>> point because "no one needs to do that" (speaking from their ivory
>> tower).
>
> To be honest, if you use systemd-networkd (instead of NM or the network
> init script), you can arbitrarily name your interfaces whatever you
want, in a
> much more configuration-management-friendly way.
>
> It's just that systemd-networkd isn't that well-known yet.  I'm on the
> fence about whether I like it or not.  It is nice that its really simple
files
> and consistent across distros, but it doesn't yet do stuff like wifi well.
> Also, most GNOME desktops have a NM applet that gets confused if you're
using
> systemd-networkd.  I still feel like systemd-networkd is a lot less
> convoluted than NetworkManager.
>
> https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd-networkd.service.html

I may need to look into that. I mean, I've disliked NM since I first saw
it in 6. I mean, why would I want it to even try wpa-supplicant on a wired
network? And perhaps for home users or laptops, but for a server install,
I NEVER want avahi running.

   mark "Do what I tell you to do, and stop trying to think you know better"