[CentOS] OT: systemd Poll

Tue Apr 11 17:43:27 UTC 2017
Pete Biggs <pete at biggs.org.uk>

> I just read through this thread, and I must say I'm a bit worried, to
> the point that I'm asking myself: is CentOS still as reliable as it was?

Yes.

> This is not a rhetorical question, but a real one. On my Slackware
> servers, I'm hosting a few dozen websites, various platforms for schools
> and public libraries, some streaming stuff, webmail, etc. and these
> machines *never ever* give me any headache. Can I expect the same
> stability from CentOS 7?

I have a hundred or so CentOS desktops, ~10 webservers hosting many
virtual sites, an LDAP infrastructure, a couple of VM servers, a number
of large computational clusters, mail servers, mail relays, a Nextcloud
host and so on all running on CentOS of various flavours (but mostly 7
now) and ALL of them rock solid. I don't see any of these random
reboots because of systemd, it is just not something I recognise - the
uptimes are usually in the months to years region.

Look, CentOS is a RHEL clone, RH make money out of this and they aren't
going to produce an OS that is flaky. If they did, no one would use it.

P.