[CentOS] OT: systemd Poll

Tue Apr 11 21:41:43 UTC 2017
Warren Young <warren at etr-usa.com>

On Apr 11, 2017, at 11:28 AM, Scott Robbins <scottro11 at gmail.com> wrote:

> (though they're talking of trying OpenRC)

Not just talking.  TrueOS, neé PC-BSD, now runs on OpenRC.

So let me tell you about how my recent TrueOS server upgrade broke virtually all of my services on the TrueOS server, roached the X configuration, and now has the system in an un-upgradeable state, to the point that it’s looking like I’ll have to reinstall if I ever want to install software from pkg again.

Oh, and let’s also talk about how FreeBSD has been training people to run services via direct /etc/rc.d/$service script calls, but now you must use rc-service calls, with no graceful fallback.  Got scripts calling the old style scripts?  Too bad.

The grass isn’t always greener on the other side of the fence.