[CentOS] nameserver issue

Sat Apr 22 00:36:33 UTC 2017
Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 08:34:29AM -0700, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> --On Thursday, April 20, 2017 9:10 AM -0400 Fred Smith
> <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:
>
> >problem is, where is it getting the old address from? It isn't in
> >the resolv.conf before the vpn is started, and it is not in the NM
> >setups, anywhere, and it isn't in any of the files in
> >/etc/sysconfig/network*, so where is it coming from? And that particular
> >system is NOT using DHCP. Beats me!
>
> Good question. Could systemd be involved? I found this bug:
>
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/systemd/+bug/1624317>

I'll take a look at that, thanks.

I also have more info...

My router is stupid. apparently it sends to the dhcp clients the
nameserver address you enter into the dhcp configs, but it appends
its own LAN address to it so the clients get both:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/dns-problems-with-dhcp.23132/#post-319233
that is a discussion of a similar router from the same mfg as mine, and
it behaves the same way.

You can see this directly if you have a windows system, run "ipconfig /renew"
then "ipconfig /all" and you'll see both addresses listed as DNS.

Now, does that have anything to do with my Centos box which is
manually configured? I can't see how, but it makes me wonder.