[CentOS] Need a bit of 'archeocomputing' help on CentOS 7.

Sat Apr 22 18:18:13 UTC 2017
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On 04/22/2017 11:24 AM, Rainer Duffner wrote:
> Obviously, the system is designed for this - but why is nobody doing this for Linux?

The time commitment necessary to keep up with the sometimes dramatic
changes in the typical Linux distribution is very large; I would guess
that's the reason it's not typically done.

The LinuxTech EL6 libc5 is only possible because Mandriva 2011 contained
it.  I've not tested that piece yet, but plan to a bit later.

> I just looked it up:
> FreeBSD 4.0 was released over 17 years ago, around the same time as RHL 6.2…

Yep, and the binaries I have are older than that.  The particular setup
being used actually dates from 1997, almost exactly 20 years ago.  The
version was upgraded a few times afterwards; the timestamps on the
original distribution archive for the glibc 2.1 version are all from May
12, 1999, but the original version was from fall of 1996.

I'm glad I held those two tarballs back all these years.

In any case, CentOS 2.1 plus the RHL 6.2 compat-glibc-2.1 packages have
the system back up and running. and running fast.

The host is CentOS 7.3.1611 using bridged networking for KVM.  So far
it's running well.