[CentOS] SCSI drives and Centos 7

Sat Apr 29 19:15:13 UTC 2017
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 4/29/2017 6:50 AM, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> about 4 years ago, I tried to install CentOS 6 on a Supermicro server
> with SCSI drives using a LSI raid system.

I'm curious just how OLD this SCSI RAID system is?   Everything I've
deployed in the last 8 or 10 year has been SAS based, parallel SCSI went
the way of buggy whips some years back, I think the last parallel SCSI
servers I decommissioned were based on the Pentium-4 generation of Intel
Xeon processors, like Nocona..

the power vs performance of these old servers makes them a losing bet,
especially now that you're way on the wrong side of the typical 5 year
halflife of computer electronics.    a single socket low end modern
server would have many times the CPU and IO performance, and would be
able to run many such workloads virtualized.