[CentOS] What RH-like on a Dell XPS 15 (9590)?

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Wed Aug 2 15:18:26 UTC 2017

On 08/02/2017 09:55 AM, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On 07/27/2017 04:16 PM, wwp wrote:
>> It is as simple as unknown hardware at boot up, it's a well known issue
>> w/ *Lake hardware (modern hardware) that kernel 3.x cannot handle.
>> CentOS7 has a kernel which is simply not modern, unable to handle lots
>> of computers sold currently.
>>
>> That said, there might be a way to boot, but nothing trivial and
>> nothing at all I could find on the Internet, everytime it's kernel
>> 4.3/4.10 minimum required.
>
> While I know that Johnny has provided the experimental kernel (thanks,
> Johnny) I would like to just briefly address this idea that the C7
> kernel is 'obviously' not going to work because 'is 3.x and must have 4.x.'
>
> In EL-land, kernel versions are effectively meaningless, since features,
> hardware support, bugfixes, security fixes, etc are back-ported into the
> 'old and not modern' 3.10 kernel (for EL7) by competent developers at
> Red Hat.  An EL 3.10 kernel, such as the current
> 3.10.0-514.26.2.el7.x86_64 one, may have hardware support back-ported
> from a 4.x kernel that doesn't exist in the vanilla kernel.org kernel
> (I'm almost certain it does, but I'm not going to take the time to get
> details).

It might work in the RHEL 7.4 kernel .. I'll get that onto buildlogs for
testing while I am working on the CentOS Linux 7 upgrade builds.

And yes, people do need to understand that Red Hat backports newer
firmware and drivers to the older kernels.  There are plenty of 4.x
kernel things backported.  So, as you correctly pointed out, you can't
treat the Red Hat 3.10.x kernels like kernel.org 3.10.x kernels.

<snip>