[CentOS] Fedora bugs and EOL [was Re: CentOS users: please try and provide feedback on Fedora] Boltron

Mark Haney mark.haney at neonova.net
Wed Aug 2 15:39:19 UTC 2017

On 08/02/2017 11:13 AM, John Hodrien wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Aug 2017, Mark Haney wrote:
>
>> Sure there is such a thing.  It's a tiled console package (tilix is
>> what I use).  In all honesty, I wouldn't want Libreoffice running in
>> a container and I can't imagine why you'd want an xterm in its own
>> container.  Most containers I've built have been RESTful API
>> containers, NGINX proxies/web servers, etc.  I spend more time on the
>> container host making changes, than in the containers themselves.  If
>> an API change has been made, I throw a new container up with that
>> change and test, rarely, if ever, do I need access the container
>> directly.  And that's the idea behind containers if you ask me.
>
> Lots of people think of containers being for servers, as you say. It's
> what
> Docker lives off, and really does feel like the focus of Docker.
>
> Singularity lets you think somewhat differently, and has proved very
> useful in
> areas like HPC, where you want to let a user bring a software
> environment to a
> machine.  You get people like OpenFOAM releasing their software as a
> Docker
> container:
>
> https://openfoam.org/download/4-1-linux/
>
> I've also used it to run Ubuntu packaged software on CentOS without
> having to
> jump through hoops trying to repackage it or otherwise rebuild a million
> dependencies in just the right way.

I honestly had forgotten about Singularity.  Mainly because it's been a
couple of years since I managed any HPC equipment.  But seriously, I
think of containers the same way I do linux tools. Unlike MS, a linux
does does one thing, and that thing very well, whereas MS has tried to
be everything to everyone and is so-so at all of them.  Perhaps that was
the original intention of container and it's morphed into something else
over time, which, if true, means I need to adjust how I define it rather
than trying to beat that square peg into the round hole in my head.

On a side note, as I write this, Pandora decided to toss
'Misunderstading' by Phil Collins into my playlist. It's playing as I
type.  Go figure.

--
Mark Haney
Network Engineer at NeoNova