[CentOS] Power Fail Protection

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Wed Aug 9 00:06:40 UTC 2017

On 8/8/2017 4:50 PM, Chris Olson wrote:
> If we wanted to protect our CentOS systems from facility power failure
> in a similar way, is there operating system or other standard support
> that we might employ?  Most of the Linux-based applications are not as
> critical as the engineering applications on the Windows machines. There
> is a significant amount of processor idle time on several of the CentOS
> systems during non-work hours when the systems are unattended.  Several
> CentOS systems are supported currently with UPSs, but they run out and
> the system loses power if it is unattended.

NUT aka NetworkUPS Tools is the way to go on Linux, for UPS power
management.   you can configure NUT as master/slave, so one linux system
talks with the UPS, either USB, Serial, or Ethernet, and it in turn
tells the other linux systems to shut down cleanly when its time.   Or
if each box has its own UPS, you can just run NUT in standalone mode on
each box.

NUT is in EPEL...