[CentOS] Errors on an SSD drive

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri Aug 11 19:32:12 UTC 2017

Robert Nichols wrote:
> On 08/11/2017 12:16 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 7:53 AM, Robert Nichols
>> <rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net> wrote:

<snip>

>>> You really don't want to do that without first finding out what file is
>>> using that block. You will convert a detected I/O error into silent
>>> corruption ofthat file, and that is a much worse situation.
>>
>> Yeah he'd want to do an fsck -f and see if repairs are made, and also
<snip>
> fsck checks filesystem metadata, not the content of files. It is not going
> to detect that a file has had 512 bytes replaced by zeros. If the file
> is a non-configuration file installed from an RPM, then "rpm -Va" should
> flag it.
>
> LVM certainly makes the procedure harder. Figuring out what filesystem
> block corresponds to that LBA is still possible, but you have to examine
> the LV layout in /etc/lvm/backup/ and learn more than you probably wanted
> to know about LVM.

I posted a link yesterday - let me know if you want me to repost it - to
someone's web page who REALLY knows about filesystems and sectors, and how
to identify the file that a bad sector is part of.

And it works. I haven't needed it in a few years, but I have followed his
directions, and identified the file on the bad sector.

      mark