[CentOS] what is CodeMeter and why is it running on my CentOS box?

Sun Aug 13 04:07:23 UTC 2017

On 13/8/17 12:00 pm, Fred Smith wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 06:49:01PM -0700, John R Pierce wrote:
>> On 8/12/2017 6:25 PM, Fred Smith wrote:
>>> I just stumbled over /var/log/CodeMeter, which contains a number of large
>>> log files.
>>>
>>> I know I'm getting old and forgetful, but I can't remember intentionally
>>> installing that package.
>>>
>>> Yum just says "installed" instead of listing a repo.
>>>
>>> Looking at codemeter.com, it seems to work with something called a
>>> "cm stick". I don't have one, don't want one, and never heard of them.
>>>
>>> Is there any reason I should be leery of just "yum remove"ing the
>>> package?
>>>
>>> thanks!
>> sounds like its dongle based copy protection for some application
>> program.   you running any small market big dollar applicaitons,
>> like CAD?  they are the most frequent user of such services.
> Nope. not me. home desktop/mailserver/play/light-coding box.
>
> could it be part of some exploit?

Hi Fred,

You and John have it right.  I used to administer a license server and
that was exactly what it was.  We had a USB stick to plug into the
server and the CodeMeter daemon serve the licenses.  There were a couple
of ports, default was 22350 IIRC, open that the clients talked to over
an embedded web server.

The logs did fill up but for a license administrator they were useful:
which clients checked out what, when and if the license was returned.
Is there anything useful in the logs you have?

When I installed it, the package was standalone with no dependencies
that weren't on my C7 box anyway.  I doubt that you'll find it in any
repos.  I used to have to download directly from codemeter.com and do a
"yum localinstall".  Assuming you have no licenses it should be safe to
remove.

Otherwise, no idea why its on your server.

Cheers,
-pete