[CentOS] Centos 7 specific cure for Spamassassin DNS lookup problem

Gary Stainburn gary at ringways.co.uk
Mon Aug 14 08:38:43 UTC 2017

On Thursday 10 August 2017 18:25:44 Phil Perry wrote:
> > I run SpamAssassin on CentOS 7; the SPF plugin is loaded via
> > /etc/mail/spamassassin/init.pre. I have no trouble with spf at all.
> >
> > Is it possible the problem is with local DNS resolution?
>
> Same here, no issues with spamassassin and SPF.
>
> In addition to Paul's question which seems like the most obvious initial
> avenue of investigation, I assume you have perl-Mail-SPF and
> perl-Net-DNS installed? They should be as both are deps for the
> spamassassin package.

Both deps are installed, and from what I can tell the SPF code was loading
fine, but then failing when called.

Local DNS resolution was working fine, with the correct entries in
resolve.conf, and nslookup, dig, and all other services working fine.

The research I had done into this error messsage stated that because of
problems with Net::DNS  SA had cheated and looked at the internals of the
module to obtain the DNS list. These internals then broke which meant that SA
could no longer detect the DNS servers.  By adding

dns_server  x.x.x.x

to the local.cf  I got round this problem and the error messages have gone.

However, as I said in my other post I am now getting

spamd[102425]: Use of uninitialized value $rr_type in string eq
at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Mail/SpamAssassin/Plugin/AskDNS.pm line 592.

instead

Gary