[CentOS] Power Fail Protection Update

Chris Olson

chris_e_olson at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 16 14:49:24 UTC 2017

Many thanks to those that responded to my original posting with
information about Network UPS Tools and commercial UPS products.

In our planning a path forward to implement UPS-based power fail
protection, we have come across what appears to be an issue with
the state of the CentOS 6 machines being UPS protected.  Most of
these machines are desktop/deskside machines that are likely to
be idle during non-work hours.  It is also likely that they will
be hibernating or in a power save mode.

In the power save mode, these machines do not respond to keyboard
or mouse activity.  They also do not respond to network traffic
such as a ping from other systems on the network.  The method we
use to wake them up is a quick push on the power button when the
hibernation state is indicated by the button's yellow LED display.

This state of hibernation leaves us wondering if these systems will
be able to respond to network messages sent by the UPS.  We have not
yet made it all the way through the NUT and UPS documentation.
The hibernation answer may very well be therein, but we have not
found it so far.  Any help or direction regarding the hibernation
issue as it relates to UPS power fail protection will be appreciated.

Thanks again and best regards.