[CentOS] Centos 7 Install

Yan Li elliot.li.tech at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 15:36:52 UTC 2017

On 08/18/2017 03:33 AM, ken wrote:
> On 08/17/2017 11:19 PM, Yan Li wrote:
>> On 08/17/2017 05:05 PM, Fred Smith wrote:
>>> Hmm. was unaware of tracker-etc. what are these indexes used for?
>>> I can't think of anything I do on the system that would need to know
>>> all bout some arbitrary file somewhere on the filesysystem, so why
>>> would this be useful?
>>>
>>> thanks in advance!
>> My main desktop is a CentOS 7 installation, and Tracker is a very useful
>> desktop search tool when I need to find a local file by using a keyword.
>>   I need to use it almost every a few minutes.
>>
> Yan, thanks for the point you make.  Could you please provide an example
> of your usage?

This morning. I sat down, opened my CentOS 7 laptop. It sprung back from
suspension. I needed to check my project plan so I pressed the start key
(some people call it Win key) and typed in "project plan". Tracker
Search instantly listed all documents in my home that have "project
plan" in either file name and content. I pressed down key twice and then
enter to open the file that I wanted to edit.

Five minutes later, I needed to edit a project specification. I pressed
the start key and typed in "MyAwesomeProject specification". Tracker
against listed all matching documents, and what I needed was usually
among the top few choices.

Another five minutes later, my insurer called and asked about some bill.
I need a spreadsheet so I pressed start key and typed in "calc".
LibreOffice Calc was the first choice so I directly pressed Enter to
open it. I always use this method to open any app I need, and I won't
have to touch the mouse.

After this call, I need to schedule a meeting with a partner in London
so I pressed the start key and typed in "london". Tracker showed the
current time and I could press enter to see the weather in London.

That's just what happened this morning.

--
Yan Li