[CentOS] CentOS SDR Support

Wed Aug 2 14:38:10 UTC 2017
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On 07/19/2017 11:02 AM, Chris Olson wrote:
>   We have been following up with regard to how SDR capabilities might be
> used for obtaining time using SDR dongles as well as using the
> time source product referenced in that response.

> One thing that we did not find was any reference at all to SDR
> products and software for monitoring the frequencies used by
> recreational Remote Controlled Aircraft.

GNUradio works well on CentOS 7, but it is a bit of an adventure to get
it built.  Marcus Leech's build-gnuradio.sh script works fine, and I've
used it several times to build GNUradio on C7, both on x86_64 and on
aarch64 (although I haven't performed that build on any of my ODROID C2s
in some time and it really was a pain due to EPEL not being available
for aarch64 at the time).  I tried the PyBOMBS build, but it wasn't
successful for me, so I reverted to the build-gnuradio.sh script.

GNUradio supports a number of SDR dongles, including the RTL-SDR.

An old version of GNUradio used to be in EPEL, but it's no there as of
today.

For general-purpose SDR work GNUradio is fine, but if you need
deterministic latency you may be disappointed.