[CentOS] Light-weight window manager, recommendations

Fri Aug 4 21:58:52 UTC 2017
Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.STONEHAM.ma.us>

On Fri, Aug 04, 2017 at 05:32:39PM -0400, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> So, I've mentioned that I've got an original netbook, circa 2009, and I'm
> going to put CentOS on it. 32 bit. Not huge disk, old Atom processor, not
> tons of memory. Any recommendations for a light-weight window manager?
>
> Before I went to KDE, I used fvwm2, and all I'm going to do is use it to
> read webmail and browse, read news, etc, so I don't need a lot.
>
>       mark

I've got an Asus eeepc 901, originally with their brain-damaged
Linux (which means it has a 4 gig and a 16-gig ssd, whereas the
windoze version had 4 and 12. go figure.)

I used to run fedora on it, with Gnome. before Gnome went to the
awful thing they produce now. I mostly don't use it for much of
anything anymore because it is so g-awful slow. I upgraded it from
1 gig RAM to 2 gigs some years ago.

I dealt with the split storage by installing /usr on the 16-gig
drive, leaving enough room on the 4 for all the rest of root. right
now I forget where I was putting swap. Since Fedora removed the
ability to split /usr off from the rest of the root filesystem I
haven't really messed with it. I suspect it would get pretty tight
on that limited storage.

I also have an Acer Aspire One netbook, somewhat younger than the
Asus, it has a dual-core Atom (with hyper threading) but it is still
pretty slow, just somewhat less so. It also has 2 gigs of RAM, up
from the original 1 gig.

I use the Mate desktop on it, but I don't know how that rates in terms
of being "light". I keep, halfheartedly, looking for a lightweight
distro to put on it with hopes it won't be such a dog, but every one
I've seen that really is lightweight is missing so many features/tools/
apps that I can't bear to actually use them.

So, I don't know what would be light enough to make it non-painful to
use. Should you find something, please post here so I can also give it
a try.

thanks!

Fred