[CentOS] what is CodeMeter and why is it running on my CentOS box?

Sun Aug 13 17:35:31 UTC 2017
Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 09:25:11PM -0400, Fred Smith wrote:
> I just stumbled over /var/log/CodeMeter, which contains a number of large
> log files.
>
> I know I'm getting old and forgetful, but I can't remember intentionally
> installing that package.
>
> Yum just says "installed" instead of listing a repo.
>
> Looking at codemeter.com, it seems to work with something called a
> "cm stick". I don't have one, don't want one, and never heard of them.
>
> Is there any reason I should be leery of just "yum remove"ing the
> package?
>
> thanks!
>
> Fred

Bingo!

A couple years ago I purchased a commercial CD/DVD player for this system
(because I didn't seem to be able to get VLC to play some dvds). Turns out
CodeMeter came as part of the OnePlay player (as yum told me when I tried
to remove CodeMeter, it also wanted to remove OnePlay which reminded me.)

wonder if bad things would happen if I just blocked the network
port it uses (which seems to be 22350).

                         God made him who had no sin
                      to be sin for us, so that in him
                 we might become the righteousness of God."