[CentOS] Broadcom BCM4360

Alice Wonder alice at domblogger.net
Mon Dec 4 07:40:05 UTC 2017

On 12/03/2017 11:10 PM, Phil Perry wrote:
> On 04/12/17 00:38, John R Pierce wrote:
>> On 12/3/2017 4:22 PM, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
>>> I have not been able to get it to work Centos 7.4 machine.  Some of the
>>>   centos user posts had indicated the nux repsitory had a Centos 7 kmod-
>>> wl, but it is not present when I tried to search or or install it at
>>> this time.
>>
>> this looks potentionally helpful
>>
>> http://elrepo.org/tiki/wl-kmod
>>
>> it appears those are closed source drivers with funky licenses, so
>> they can't just be redistributed without assumption of liability.
>>

> Correct, elrepo isn't able to freely redistribute the drivers due
> Broadcom's licensing, but does provide instructions and a SRPM (minus
> tarball) for you to build yourself.

That's what I have to do, and it can sometimes be a PITA because a
kernel update can break it and you have to build it again.

With major updates (like 7.3 to 7.4) you sometimes have to download a
new nosrc rpm.

> Alternatively, for $8 you can purchase an adaptor that is natively
> supported and will work out of the box:
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Edimax-EW-7811Un-150Mbps-Raspberry-Supports/dp/B003MTTJOY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512370979&sr=8-1&keywords=edimax+n150
>

> https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315091&cm_re=edimax_n150-_-33-315-091-_-Product
>

> The above adaptor is based on the Realtek RTL8188CUS chipset and uses
> the rtl8192cu kernel driver.

At some point I will be replacing mine, but with a low-profile PCI-E
card. I've had bad luck with USB wifi adapters, sometimes for example
they lose connection when a microwave is turned on and when I was
visiting my parents, had one that lost connection whenever the AC unit
kicked on.

My best wifi experience in Linux has been with my T series thinkpad, it
uses some kind of Intel wireless chipset that is in the kernel.

I'm going to be looking for a low profile Intel PCI-E card, but for now
my broadcom PCI-E actually works quite well - with the exception of
needing to rebuild every now and then (last time was 7.3 to 7.4 update)