[CentOS] Switch off laptop screen when docked with lid close - CentOS 7

Fabian Arrotin arrfab at centos.org
Tue Dec 5 13:16:46 UTC 2017

On 05/12/17 08:53, Toralf Lund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using CentOS on a laptop that part of the time is connected to a
> docking station with two monitor connected to it. When the laptop lid is
> docked, its lid is closed, as the system is placed in a position where
> it's not convenient to keep it open, let alone look at the screen.
>
> Now in the past, with CentOS 5 (on a different laptop, but same physical
> config) and 6, the screen has automatically been switched off in this
> configuration - it's been as if it was no longer there after I docked
> the machine, which is of course exactly what I want. After I recently
> switched to CentOS 7, however, I no longer get this behaviour. Even
> thought I can't see the screen, it's obvious that it's on, or at least
> the system thinks so - it appears in display config, and  xrandr
> mentions it as "connected".
>
> Any idea what's going on? Shouldn't the screen just switch of
> automatically? What part of the system is supposed to handle this
> anyway? And what's the best way around my problem? I've already disabled
> the screen in Display preferences, of course, but it seems like the
> situation should ideally be handled at a more global level, and also,
> *my* display config obviously has no effect on the login manager. Which
> means I can't really log in while the machine is locked, as the monitor
> is then still on, and guess where the login window appears...
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Toralf

Running CentOS 7/Gnome 3 and I also use two external monitors connected
to my docking station. When laptop is docked (so lid is closed) internal
display is turned off and only external displays are used.
Same in gnome settings/displays : it shows my "Built-in display" as 'lid
closed' and so only my external 24" displays as enabled (as Primary and
Secondary) (and I confirm that display is also off, and only gets back
to enabled when I undock and open the  lid)

--
Fabian Arrotin
gpg key: 56BEC54E | twitter: @arrfab