[CentOS] upgrading python

Marc Gouw marc.gouw at embl.de
Tue Dec 5 15:00:04 UTC 2017

On 12/05/2017 02:45 PM, Kai Grunau wrote:
> On 05.12.2017 14:24, Larry Martell wrote:

>>> you could use the anaconda software, it is independent of the OS
>>> regards
>> I am not familiar with that. This is for a django app, using nginx,
>> uWSGI, and mysql - will it integrate easily with those components?
> Anaconda is a python installation independent of the OS.
> You can install it without root rights. Only your environment
> has to change to use the new python version
>
> I think is easy to  work with those components

I've happily been using python virtual environments (similar to
anaconda) alongside with Apache, WSGI & django for a long time. The
setup using NGINX should be almost the same (with some small differences
in setting up NGINX, of course).

I would suggest "virtualenv" instead of anaconda: The principle is the
same, but it offers just a bit more flexibility and customization.
Virtualenv creates a local (non-system) installation of python, and you
can create different collections of packages stored as different
environments. In this way you can have multiple versions of python +
different collections of packages all living happily side by side on the
same machine.

Regarding the setup with uWSGI + NGINX, the Django documentation "How to
use Django with Apache and mod_wsgi"  is excellent:
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.11/howto/deployment/wsgi/modwsgi/

There is also a similar setup for NGINX on readthedocs (which I assume
will also work):
http://uwsgi-docs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/tutorials/Django_and_nginx.html

For the rest: Google is your friend, you'll find lots of information on
each of these topics.

Good luck!

Marc

--