[CentOS] upgrading python

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Mon Dec 11 21:45:38 UTC 2017

On 12/11/2017 1:32 PM, Larry Martell wrote:
> Thanks. Missed that. Now I do get 7.5.13 but it seems I have to type
> that command in each new shell. Can I make that the default python? I
> want django and uWSGI to use that version.

The "default" python is a dependency for many other system packages, so
changing it without understanding what effect it will have on other
parts of the system would be dangerous. The idea behind Software
Collections is that you only affect the packages that truly need the
newer version.

How are you launching django and uWSGI? I'd suggest putting the SC
command in their startup scripts to keep the new version confined to them.