[CentOS] LUKS question

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Wed Dec 13 13:44:16 UTC 2017

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017, Kern, Thomas (CONTR) wrote:

> If your requirement is for the entire system to be encrypted then I think
> the only is a system rebuild, but if you can convince management that a good
> compromise is encrypting only the applications and their data, you should be
> able to add encrypted storage, copy the sensitive files and wipe the old
> allocations. I have done this for a test system encrypting a MySQL database
> instance and a web server instance, in anticipation of an "encrypted at
> rest" directive coming down from management.

How about:

Add temporary storage, encrypted, set as a PV, add to VG.  Rebuild initramfs,
and reboot, confirming that it properly unlocks the storage as expected.
pvmove, delete internal PV and replace with encrypted PV, pvmove back?

You'd hope that'd be quite tolerant of being interrupted in the middle.

If you're happy that works, the same recipe should work without a reboot.

jh