[CentOS] An rpmbuild spec question

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Thu Dec 28 14:12:41 UTC 2017

On Thu, Dec 28, 2017 at 07:49:12AM -0500, mark wrote:
> I understood that... but I don't *want* a release number. Unless you're
> suggesting that I *must* do something like change my package name and
> directory to 1.27-0.

Every package has a name, version and release (as well as other
metadata like epoch and arch which are used to determine version
ordering).  You must define them or you get that blank release like
you saw.

The definition of a release should not define where your executables
go.  That's for your %install section.  You could put them in
/foo/bar/baz/ if you wanted, as long as the %install section created
$RPM_BUILD_ROOT/foo/bar/baz and populated it with files, and you
listed /foo/bar/baz in your %files section.