[CentOS] Run as root w/o terminal/gksu-polkit uses 100 % CPU

Tue Dec 5 08:26:54 UTC 2017
Toralf Lund <toralf.lund at pgs.com>

Hi,

On CentOS 7, what's the best way to start a GUI program as root without
a terminal? I mean, from a launcher or similar where you can't provide
terminal input to "sudo". I'm talking about applications that aren't
configured to switch to root out-of-the box, of course.

I just tried gksu-polkit from EPEL, and it kind of did the job but:

 1. It consumed *a lot* of resources - CPU usage was reported at a
    constant 100 %, more or less.
 2. The process did not go away after I closed the application.

Which means it's practically unusable, unless someone can provide a way
to fix these problems.

Thanks,

- Toralf