[CentOS] Broadcom BCM4360

Mon Dec 4 11:14:19 UTC 2017
galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu>

On Mon, December 4, 2017 1:40 am, Alice Wonder wrote:
> On 12/03/2017 11:10 PM, Phil Perry wrote:
>>>
>>> this looks potentionally helpful
>>>
>>> http://elrepo.org/tiki/wl-kmod
>>>
>>> it appears those are closed source drivers with funky licenses, so
>>> they can't just be redistributed without assumption of liability.
>>>

>> Correct, elrepo isn't able to freely redistribute the drivers due
>> Broadcom's licensing, but does provide instructions and a SRPM (minus
>> tarball) for you to build yourself.

Every time I encounter big enough trouble about some chipset to have to learn a bit about its internals, I usually learn about its engineering flaw. BCM43xx has the following one: the chip internally is 32 bit, though it sits on 64 bit bus. (Take that with a grain of salt, it's been long time since I looked into that crap).

Once I discover the flaw, I add particular hardware in my black list and do my best to not buy anything containing it. Broadcom as a whole is not in my black list, they have great hardware, but their BCM43XX is, even if they corrected their design flaws since.

I would replace that if possible (Intel would be great candidate), or use USB adapters others suggest.

Just my $0.02

Valeri