[CentOS] upgrading python

Tue Dec 5 15:15:04 UTC 2017
Larry Martell <larry.martell at gmail.com>

On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 10:00 AM, Marc Gouw <marc.gouw at embl.de> wrote:

> On 12/05/2017 02:45 PM, Kai Grunau wrote:

>>> I am not familiar with that. This is for a django app, using nginx,
>>> uWSGI, and mysql - will it integrate easily with those components?
>>
>> Anaconda is a python installation independent of the OS.
>> You can install it without root rights. Only your environment
>> has to change to use the new python version
>>
>> I think is easy to  work with those components
>>

> I've happily been using python virtual environments (similar to anaconda)
> alongside with Apache, WSGI & django for a long time. The setup using NGINX
> should be almost the same (with some small differences in setting up NGINX,
> of course).
>
> I would suggest "virtualenv" instead of anaconda: The principle is the same,
> but it offers just a bit more flexibility and customization. Virtualenv
> creates a local (non-system) installation of python, and you can create
> different collections of packages stored as different environments. In this
> way you can have multiple versions of python + different collections of
> packages all living happily side by side on the same machine.
>
> Regarding the setup with uWSGI + NGINX, the Django documentation "How to use
> Django with Apache and mod_wsgi"  is excellent:
> https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.11/howto/deployment/wsgi/modwsgi/
>
> There is also a similar setup for NGINX on readthedocs (which I assume will
> also work):
> http://uwsgi-docs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/tutorials/Django_and_nginx.html
>
> For the rest: Google is your friend, you'll find lots of information on each
> of these topics.

This is a very mature app that we have deployed in many sites. The
older sites run CentOS 6 and use apache and modwsgi. The newer sites
run CentOS 7 and use nginx and uWSGI. So we am very familiar with
their respective setups. But I have never used anything other then the
out of the box python that came with the OS. So I am not sure how to
get that nor if it will break anything. I am going to investigate Pete
Biggs' suggestion to use Software Collections.