[CentOS] CAA records using PowerDNS from EPEL

Fri Dec 8 20:37:02 UTC 2017
Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com>

--On Friday, December 08, 2017 7:54 PM +0000 MRob <mrobti at insiberia.net>
wrote:

> PowerDNS supports CAA records beginning with version 4.0, but the pdns
> package in EPEL for most recent centos versions is stuck at around
> version 3.4 (3.4.11 is what I have).
>
> Do I have no other choice but to manually compile and maintain my own
> pdns installation? I prefer to avoid this but I need up-to-date features.

Rawhide has version 4. With any luck you could just rebuild the SRPM with
no issues. I've done that with packages where I need a bleeding edge
feature on a CentOS system. Sometimes I have to tweak the spec file so that
it will build with the older tools.

The worse problem is when it depends on much newer other packages. Then one
gets into dependency hell. In such a case, you might want to try using
Fedora COPR to assemble a custom build system.