[CentOS] An rpmbuild spec question

Wed Dec 27 23:36:05 UTC 2017
Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com>

On 12/27/2017 3:09 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> My current issue, that I keep falling back to, is the install
> *INSISTS*  that it has to add a - after version.

You're missing the spec file header that includes lots of meta
information. The dash is to separate the version from the package
release string. You should have a Release: header to fill that in.

>   install -m 744 -d %{buildroot}/%{name}-%{version}
No need to set the mode here. Do that in the %files section with the
defattrs tag.
> %files
> %{buildroot}/%{name}
Use the final absolute install path in %files. Don't include the
buildroot. So just /opt/%{name}.
> What I see from the rpmbuild is
> + cd /usr//local//src//rpmbuild/BUILD
Don't build as root. I create a special user to build packages from.
Install the rpmdevtools package and run rpmdev-setuptree as your build user.

http://www.g-loaded.eu/2006/04/05/how-to-build-rpm-packages-on-fedora/