[CentOS] downgrading packages

Ned Slider ned at unixmail.co.uk
Thu Feb 2 08:52:27 UTC 2017

On 02/02/17 06:32, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> After the large update from 7.2 -> 7.3 there is
> one major problem, the amanda backup packages.
>
> Strange situation, the host is the amanda server
> is working fine at backing up all my remote clients.
> But it has an error backing up itself.
>
> The amanda packages did not change version (3.3.3)
> and I've done no configuration change.

Looking back at the released versions, amanada was updated from 3.3.3-13
to 3.3.3-17 in the 7.3 release.

You can grab the old version here:

http://vault.centos.org/7.2.1511/os/x86_64/Packages/

> I'm not looking for help debugging this at the moment.
> Instead I'd like to downgrade the amanda packages
> to see if the original function can be restored.  But
> when I ask yum to downgrade, there are no packages
> available.  Is it still possible to downgrade just
> these 4 packages?  How?  What potential problems?
>
> Jon

In this instance yum can not downgrade the package for you as CentOS
(unlike Red Hat) don't keep all previously released versions available
in the current repo so in this instance yum can't find any previous
versions as it was from the 7.2 snapshot in time whereas the current
CentOS repo only contains packages from the 7.3 snapshot in time forwards.

So you would need to grab the package from the vault (about) and
manually downgrade.

Hope that helps.