[CentOS] Cron.Hourly

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Feb 2 17:08:06 UTC 2017

On Thu, Feb 02, 2017 at 10:55:00AM -0600, Matt wrote:
> When I have multiple scripts in /etc/cron.hourly/ using noanacron do
> they all start at same time or sequentially?  I would rather they all
> went at same time in case one takes close to an hour to complete.

Sequentially. This is accomplished by a line in /etc/cron.d like this:

01 * * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.hourly

and `run-parts` is a bash script which goes through in a loop (with
logic to avoid certain filenames and to implement random delay, but not
much else).

I think good practice is to only drop short-running scripts in that
directory; longer jobs should get their own /etc/cron.d entries.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>