[CentOS] Spotty internet connection

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Fri Feb 3 18:27:39 UTC 2017

On Fri, February 3, 2017 12:13 pm, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 2/3/2017 4:38 AM, Styma, Robert (Nokia - US) wrote:
>> Another thing to check is the wiring to the house.  If this is a cable
>> company, it is likely that the cable to the cable modem splits off to
>> the TV(s).  Make sure there are not any unterminated co-ax cable which
>> used to go to a TV.  Make sure the cable outside the house is not
>> damaged.  The cable company can test for bad cable at your location.
>> They may charge for this.  You could get a length of co-ax and swap it
>> in in various places to see if the problems go away.
>
> if you have multiple splitters, make sure the cable modem is on the
> 'first' one, and that splitter is a high grade 2-way one. Make sure all
> cable is high grade RG6 quad shield and not older RG59 or whatever.

I've heard (don't remember where) that typical latency for cable network
providers (which comcast is) is [much?] higher than latency for DSL, even
though overall data throughput may be higher for cable than for DSL. This
probably is soooo outdated (if at all true). Does somebody knows the truth
and could shed some light onto what is better...

Thanks in advance!

Valeri

> --
> john r pierce, recycling bits in santa cruz

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago
Phone: 773-702-4247