[CentOS] Centos6.8 and Python33

Patrick Begou Patrick.Begou at legi.grenoble-inp.fr
Mon Feb 6 13:24:50 UTC 2017

Pete Biggs wrote:
> On Mon, 2017-02-06 at 13:07 +0100, Patrick Begou wrote:
>> I've some trouble with installing numpy in python 3.3 on Centos 6.8 as
>> installation request a different python version...
>>
>> [root at sge ~]$ yum install python33 python33-python-tools
>> [root at sge ~]$ scl enable python33 bash
>>              ===== *this load Python 3.3.2*  ===
>> [root at sge ~]$ easy_install pip
>> [root at sge ~]$ pip install numpy
>> Collecting numpy
>>     Using cached numpy-1.12.0.zip
>>       Complete output from command python setup.py egg_info:
>>       Traceback (most recent call last):
>>         File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
>>         File "/tmp/pip-build-wyb0pj/numpy/setup.py", line 34, in <module>
>>           raise RuntimeError("Python version 2.7 or >= 3.4 required.")
>> *RuntimeError: Python version 2.7 or >= 3.4 required.
>>

>> *I'm not familar with python and I do not find on google how to work arround
>> this....
>>
> Even not knowing python, it's fairly obvious - it says you need Python
> version 3.4 or greater for numpy 1.12.0, you've installed Python 3.3
>
> Generally, I don't use pip for installing numpy - it's such a common
> requirement for other packages that it's in the repositories. Try
> something like
>
>    yum install python33-numpy
>
> P.

Using "yum install python33-numpy " could be a solution for numpy but this just
forward the problem to the next package I have to install with pip. I do not
understand why a python 3.3 environment try to install incompatibles packages.

I tryed to install python34 with yum but it does not seem to work with scl
environment.... (yum install python34-setuptools python34)

Patrick

|  Equipe M.O.S.T.         |                                      |
|  Patrick BEGOU           | mailto:Patrick.Begou at grenoble-inp.fr |
|  LEGI                    |                                      |
|  BP 53 X                 | Tel 04 76 82 51 35                   |
|  38041 GRENOBLE CEDEX    | Fax 04 76 82 52 71                   |