[CentOS] CentOS 6, 8, mplayer, "vector smash protection is enabled"

m.roth at 5-cent.us

Mon Feb 6 16:36:10 UTC 2017

This *just* started happening. Video works, but if I try to play streaming
audio, I get nothing. In .xsession-errors, I see that message, along with
others
Object::connect: No such slot
TaskManager::GroupManager::taskDestroyed(QObject*)
ALSA lib pulse.c:243:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect:
Connection refused
###!!! [Parent][MessageChannel::Call] Error:
(msgtype=0xAA0001,name=PPluginInstance::Msg___delete__) Channel error:
cannot send/recv

Based on a brief google, it *appears* as though vector smash protection is
protecting me from playing music. Note that mplayer does play videos with
no audio (i.e., from our surveillance cameras in our secure rooms).

Can I turn it off, or is there something else blocking me? Let me note
that flash-plugin works to play music... except, as I noted last week, it
crashes every 15-20 minutes, so I was going to mplayer from the command
line....

    mark