[CentOS] mach64 driver, latest update in CentOS 6.8, symbol lookup error

Styma, Robert (Nokia - US) robert.styma at nokia.com
Thu Feb 9 17:44:33 UTC 2017

Styma, Robert (Nokia - US) wrote:

>>> looks like, the driver isn't rebuilt, take the centos 6.8 ISO and look
>>> how it goes.

>>     I download the ISO's and started the reinstall.  It went through all
>> the normal setup up to outputting the message that it was starting
>> Anaconda.   Then the screen went blank and stayed that way.  This is
>> the same symptom as when it is trying to start.  While the driver was
>> not rebuild I suspect something that accesses the driver added a call
>> to xf86LinearVidMem which is not found in the symbol list for the
>> driver.
>>
>> I am not sure where to go from here.
><snip>
>I would recommend doing the reinstall, but choose *text* mode install.
>You'd get through the install, and it might detect and build the video
>driver correctly.

>       mark

I installed with text mode.  It does not give you options and does a very minimal install.  X is not included.  Neither is ssh/scp/rsync.  Fortunately yum was included.  I did a "yum groupinstall Desktop" which brought in the X server and the other necessary bits.  It did behave differently.  It just loaded drivers vesa and modeset.  It tried to start and then got a segmentation exception at address 0x0.  Last thing it tried to do was disable the keyboard and mouse.

The monitor flags the input as bad with the message "Input Not Supported".   I think I am following the wrong rabbit hole as it  never had the chance to do any analysis as to what type of card it was.  Looking backward, the mach64 that was identified worked correctly at CentOS 6.7.  I suspect that the Xserver changed and the driver was not updated to match it.  This conclusion fits with the fact that a previous poster on this thread said the driver was not rebuilt and the original messages:

> > X: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/mach64_drv.so: undefined symbol: xf86LinearVidMem
> > X: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/mach64_drv.so: undefined symbol: xf86LinearVidMem

Indicate a  reference to a symbol that does not exist in the driver.  Note that the two messages were from separate loads of the OS.

Bob Styma