[CentOS] RAID questions

tdukes at palmettoshopper.com

Wed Feb 15 00:48:46 UTC 2017

Hello,

Just a couple questions regarding RAID. Here's thesituation.

I bought a 4TB drive before I upgraded from 6.8 to 7.3. I'm not too far
into this that Ican't start over. I wanted disk space to backup 3 other
machines. I way overestimated what I needed for full, incremental and
image backups with UrBackup.I've used less than 1TB so far. I would like
to add an additional drive to makeit a RAID server.

I may use a PCIe SSD for the boot drive if I can find onecompatible with
my old hardware.

1- Better to go with a hardware RAID (mainboardsupported) or software?

2 - Can an existing drive with data on it be used as aRAID drive without
losing current data?

3 - Can additional drive(s) be added later with a changein RAID level
without current data loss?

TIA