[CentOS] Centos7 GeoIP support with BIND

Istimsak Abdulbasir saqman2060 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 05:52:46 UTC 2017

On Feb 15, 2017 11:11 PM, "Robert Moskowitz" <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:

In my new Centos7 BIND DNS server, I am seeing messages in logwatch about
GeoIP.

Something new for me to learn about, and it seems, configure.

Checking to see what packages are available I find:

GeoIP.armv7hl                           1.5.0-11.el7 @centos-base_rbf
GeoIP-data.noarch                       1.5.0-11.el7 base
GeoIP-devel.armv7hl                     1.5.0-11.el7 base
GeoIP-update.noarch                     1.5.0-11.el7 base

and GeoIP.armv7hl is already installed in my image (even before I installed
BIND, it seems to be part of a base server?).

I am not finding any help for GeoIP on Centos, but for debian/ubuntu they
are saying to install geoip-database.  Is GeoIP-data the same thing?  What
about GeoIP-update?

Basically, I probably should get started on this, or disable it in my DNS
server.  Can someone point me to Centos specific help or help me out?

thanks

This the first hearing of this package,

geoIP-data is the same as geoIP-database.

http://dev.maxmind.com/geoip/legacy/csv/