[CentOS] movie player vs. mp3

Scott Robbins scottro11 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 02:06:25 UTC 2017

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 07:58:22PM -0600, Michael Hennebry wrote:

> I have movie player installed on centos 6.
> When I try to play an mp3 file, it complains about the lack of a codec,
> mpeg-1 something 3.
> google hasn't helped.  What package do I need?
> Trying to install ffmpeg gets me a no such package message.
>
> I've dealt with codec issues before.
> Mostly what I remember is that before I was done,
> I wanted to kill something.

For various legal reasons, I don't think CentOS can include various codecs.

However, if you add the nux repos, you can then install mplayer and be able
to play mp3s.

(There are probably other programs, you can install ffmpeg from source, and
so on, but installing mplayer from the nux repos is probably the easiest
workaround. Or mpv if it's available, I'm not sure if it is.)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6