[CentOS] OT: hardware, IBM 3650 M2 won't power on

Styma, Robert (Nokia - US) robert.styma at nokia.com
Wed Feb 22 22:22:35 UTC 2017

Just for grins, pull off the cover and look at the electrolytic capacitors on the motherboard.
Look for ones with the tops pushed up instead of being flat.  This can cause all sorts of odd behavior.  Often the machine with a blown capacitor will continue to run till it is powered off.    Mostly I see this on Dell machines but have seen it on other machines as well.  They are pretty easy to unsolder and replace.  There are lots of pictures of failed electrolytic capacitors on the web. You can get decent capacitors cheap on Amazon.  I understand the problem when the powers that be will not allow you to spend money.  Now I work in a lab and have nice soldering equipment available  and can get away with a lot more than a production environment.  Maybe if your boss sees you taking a soldering iron to the machine he will let you buy a new machine. :-)

Bob Styma

Mark Woolfson \(Notebook\) wrote:
> From what I remember the 3650 M2 has got some diagnostic LED's on the rear
> panel.
>
> Do these turn on and cycle?

The PSU's each have three LEDs: showing ac good, dc good, and no error.
There's a blinking green in the back, and that's it.

The pull-out panel shows nothing, and the two LCD codes show nothing, just
the cycle of figure-8's.

        mark