[CentOS] question about directory size in linux..

Anthony K akcentos at anroet.com
Thu Feb 23 01:51:29 UTC 2017

On 23/02/17 07:42, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 2/22/2017 12:27 PM, Anthony K wrote:
>> On my ext4 file system, I have a directory that has >2TB and the
>> directory entry itself only shows:
>>
>> $ ls -ld Stuff
>> drwxrwxr-x 146 akk akk   36864 Feb 21 21:18 Stuff/
>>
>> $ du -bs Stuff
>> 2093651427987    Stuff
>
> ls -ld is showing the size of the actual directory, NOT the size of
> the files stored within and under it.

That I understand.

However, I was trying to compare my system with the OP's and noticed
that I have a directory with >2TB of used capacity in a folder sized
~36kb - a 56793929:1.  In the OP's situation, he has a directory with
~2.8MB of used capacity in a folder sized ~2MB - a 1:1 ratio.  That's
the part I'm confused about.

Without knowing what the OP's file system but assuming he too is using
EXT4, what would the directory be storing that's so different from mine?